This was in response to my calling his acceptance / rote repetition of of the 93% Crimean “vote” result.
We are supposed to be the smart ones. I thought it was obvious, but I’ll lay it out here anyway:
1) I have never taken the Ukrainian nationalist line. I’ve argued against western intervention, the EU, NATO and stated repeatedly that Ukraine would be better off without Crimea and the East despite those regions having slim to moderate majorities *against* secession. Don’t believe me? Judge for yourself:
2) The libertarian media, and many libertarians themselves seem to have gone bat shit crazy. I can’t decide if they’re stupid, or if they’re their on the Kremlin payroll. As Yuri Maltsev (a well-known Russian libertarian) put it: “I am glad that there is a growing opposition to Putin’s regime in Russia itself. The list of eminent Russian intellectuals against aggression in Ukraine is much longer than those confused libertarians who support “Russian national interests” (Mises and Hayek would detest such an expression).
Here is Ry Dawson calling Ihor Kolomoiski a Nazi. Kolomoiski is not only Jewish, but one of the pillars of Ukraine’s Jewish community.
Bandera, the historic figure Ry talks about fought against the Nazis after they denied the creation of a Ukrainian state in 1941. His brothers died in Aushwitz.
Here is Paul Craig Roberts using the term “human-rights trained Ukrainian police”, this was written before the major blood shed of Feb 20, but after cases of the police kidnappinig injured protesters from hospitals. http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2014/02/20/ukraine-drifting-toward-civil-war-great-power-confrontation/
One such protester, a scientist, was kidnapped, beaten and left in the woods where he froze to death.
It’s one thing to critizise US involvement. It’s another to turn such a blind eye to the barbarity of Russian puppet regime which until recently occupied Kyiv.
The leader of the mobile “auto-maidan” survived his capture and beatings: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303743604579354020533912650
And of course, we have our own Axxxxx Jxxxxxxxxxx accepting at face value and repeating that 93% of Crimeans want secession. “We must honor their desire.” How is to possible to belive this? Seriously. How is possible to look and think this is legitimate and honest?
– A poll last month showed 41%.
http://romaninukraine.com/of-population-who-wants-to-join-russia/ This is consistent with polls taken in previous years.
(Again, I’ve argued that Ukraine would be BETTER OFF without Crimea, but I can’t stand for rote repetition of Kremlin Propaganda in this community which I value.)
– There was a referendum in 1991 too. Then 54% voted to join Ukraine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_independence_referendum,_1991. Do really, honestly, legitimately believe that the percentage shot up to 93%?
– How about the fact that “stay with Ukraine” wasn’t even a fucking option on the ballot?
– How about the fact that 123% of Sevastopol residents voted? http://euromaidanpr.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/over-123-of-sevastopol-residents-vote-to-join-russia/
– How about the fact that Crimean Tartars (who were the majority population until the Russians forcibly deported them and resettled the area) did not vote? https://twitter.com/BSpringnote/status/445235587994640384
– How about journalists with Russian passports voting in the election? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXG67YJVZuQ
I can go on, but I think you see the point. Nobody took this election election seriously.
Also how (the fuck) is it possible to look at the recent Pro-Putin rallies in Moscow and think “traditionalist conservative revivalism”? http://romaninukraine.com/pro-putin-rally-in-moscow/
ps – Goddamn right I’m Russo-phobic. As are Poles, Hungarians, Czechs, Slovaks, Georgians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians, Moldovans, Romanians, Bulgarians and many Belarussians.
Are you sure you want to uphold Russia as a model for civilization? Maybe all the way from Iceland they seem like good neighbors. Look closer.
My own reasons for Russophobia:
– There’s the torching of Ukrainian-language books in Crimea and Kharkiv:
– There’s the knifing of pro-Ukrainian protesters by Russian rent-a-thugs: http://romaninukraine.com/2-pro-ukrainian-protesters-in-donetsk-murdered-under-chants-of-russia-russia-russia/ in Donetsk. (the victim was a local)
– And there a very long sad history which I won’t go into.
Supporting Russia (The Russian Federation) is a complete sell out of both nationalism and libertarianism. Paleos who support Russia have no principles left.